Thursday, 16 August 2012

The Mooncup Mystery

Guest post by Jane Lloyd of Lovealittle

Have you discovered Mooncups yet?

These mysterious but fantastic menstrual cups are on sale in Boots alongside the tampons and pantyliners, but they are on the bottom shelf and you have to be looking to find them. Information about Mooncups is spread virally on many Internet communities and blogs. The anonymity of a chat forum breaks down inhibitions and ladies share often-hilarious anecdotes about life with a Menstrual Cup. I first heard about mooncups on the TES personal chat forums and after about a year when Boots had a 3 for 2 offer I joined forces with two other TES-ers and went for the bargain.

I never looked back. The terrifying tales of slurping noises on removal were true but I soon got the knack and felt confident and comfortable with my chosen sanitary protection. The economy and reusable aspects of mooncups were fantastic and having a loo with a washbasin in the cubicle at work helped enormously. Managing with a bottle of water in a public loo was my only dodgy moment when it slipped out of my hand! Luckily I had a back up of tampons.

Photo : Jane Lloyd
The result was that I felt the need to spread the mooncup word amongst fellow UK Etsy sellers, friends, church ladies group and members of my Embroiderers’ Guild. Quite simply my first pouch was created because I couldn’t bear to put my new Mooncup into a small badly fraying calico drawstring bag with a telltale logo on the front. I posted the prototype on flickr to see if people thought it might be popular. Comments were favourable and the Ladybug Pouch was born. I only expanded the range of fabrics and pouches at the request of potential customers and now offer a wide range including Mumtopia’s favourite, the Moon Daisy. As you can see, my hand-made pouches are not only functional and practical, their cheerful designs and little details, like the ladybird bead, bring some fun and individuality to the world of menstrual products.

At a recent Embroiderers’ Guild meeting a friend said that one of her daughters used a Mooncup and the other didn’t and that they bickered and argued with each other about the merits of each. Another member had used her menstrual cup for 20 years; think of all that money saved on tampons and all the back up pads! It is an emotive subject. I gave my sister a Mooncup in a gorgeous pouch but she still hasn’t fathomed it a few years down the line. I offered my daughter one and she definitely wasn’t keen.

My pouch making continues as the most popular line in my online Etsy store, Lovealittle, where Pouches, embroidered bags, craft kits, Waldorf dolls and more craft items are for sale. I donate sales of my “Pretty in Pink” pouches to Breakthrough for Breast Cancer throughout the year.
 
I’m offering Mumtopia readers worldwide the chance to win a $25 voucher so that they can choose something from the Lovealittle Etsy shop, please enter via the rafflecopter box below. 



And if you do nothing else, do google Mooncup – it’s a discovery worth making!

Want to write a guest piece for Mumtopia? Click here for more details.

18 comments:

  1. My favourite Lovealittle pouch is the Moon Daisy one. How about you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting and informative post. I still haven't made the plunge but this has got me thinking.

    I love Lovealittle's work and have a little pouch myself. All her work is lovely.
    Alix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assumed that buy buying the zebra pouch you'd made the plunge, Alix!

      Thanks for appreciating my work. Jane

      Delete
  3. And my favourite is the pink zebra pouchhttp://www.etsy.com/listing/58435559/pink-zebra-pouch

    Alix

    ReplyDelete
  4. too late for me, but I know I begrudged the way I threw money at the tampon company every month! If I was to choose it'd be the puzzle pouch, cos I bet nobody would know what is inside http://www.etsy.com/listing/60400410/puzzle-pouch

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moondaisy is gorgeous in every way so gets my vote, but I think Shanghai Orange comes a close second.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love my Moondaisy pouch (it's like the one pictured) and have given other pouches as presents to Mooncup wearing friends. Also used one to hide a mini Easter Egg in as part of a trail!

    Anything which cheers one up at 'that time' is worth it, and these are beautifully made.

    If you are thinking of making the jump to a Mooncup, then do it - they *do* take a few months to get the hang of, but once you have the knack, you'll never look back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann, I so agree with "you'll never look back" :)

      Delete
    2. Me too, I can't imagine using anything else except Mooncup now.

      Delete
  7. I like the blue butterfly pouch best, but they're all lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The butterfly pouch is my all time favourite.

      It takes the longest to make but I think the butterfly beads are worth it! Jane

      Delete
  8. Very hard to choose, but I think I like the seashell pouch best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for helping me out with that seashell fabric, Helen. It was a lifesaver! Jane

      Delete
  9. What a great product! The Peace Flower Pouch is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has been popular, I love the vibrant colours :) Thanks, Jane

      Delete
  10. Thank you so much for reading my guest post on Mumutopia and best of luck in the giveaway.

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ho they are very cute pouches for menstrual cups! I'll have a look at your etsy page!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your thoughts. I love to get your feedback and read each and every comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...